Key insights into weekly flows (4/10-8/10)
by Ivy NG Lee Fang, CFA
- Foreign investors turned largest and sole weekly net buyer last week; net bought PetChem and IHH.
- Local institutional investors were the largest net seller; net sold PetChem and Maybank.
- Nominee investors were ranked second largest net seller, selling AirAsia and Inari.
- Retail investors were the third largest net seller, selling Hibiscus and Dialog.
- Petronas Chemicals, Maybank and Sime Plant were the top three stocks in last week’s top net buy/sell lists.
- AirAsia, Kossan Rubber and DNEX were the top three short-selling targets last week.
Key takeaways from the weekly flows ended 8 Oct 2021
- Foreign investors emerged as the sole and largest net buyer last week
They net bought RM293m of equity (vs. weekly net sell of RM342m two weeks ago). They were net buyers of the healthcare and consumer product sectors. The top three net buy stocks for foreign investors last week were Petronas Chemicals, IHH and Genting.
- Local institutional investors were the largest net seller last week
Local institutional investors’ net selling rose by 50% wow to RM136m, raising their cumulative net sell to RM9.5bn YTD. They were net sellers of the healthcare and financial services sectors. Their top three net sell stocks were Petronas Chemicals, Maybank and IHH.
- Local nominees turned second largest net seller, from largest net buyer two weeks ago
They net sold RM74m of local equities last week (from net buy of RM216m two weeks ago). They were net sellers of the technology and industrial product sectors. Their top three net sells were AirAsia, Inari and Genting Malaysia.
- Retail investors turned weekly net seller for only the third time this year
They turned net sellers of RM70m last week (against net buy of RM187m two weeks ago). They were net sellers of the energy and consumer product sectors. Their top three net sells were Hibiscus, Dialog and CTOS.
- Petronas Chemicals, Maybank and Sime Darby Plantation in top three net buy/sell lists
Petronas Chemicals was the largest net buy stock for foreign institutional investors, but the largest net sell stock for local institutional investors. Maybank was the largest net buy stock for retail and nominee investors, but the second-largest net sell stock for local institutional investors. Sime Darby Plantation was the top net buy stock for local institutional investors, but the fourth largest net sell stock for foreign institutional and retail investors.
- Top short sells last week, and current stocks with the highest net short positions
AirAsia, Kossan Rubber and DNEX were the top three short-selling targets (in terms of trading value) last week. The three companies with the largest net short positions as at 8 Oct 2021 were Top Glove, Supermax and Kossan Rubber.